Friday, September 26, 2014

diy moleskine notebooks


Hello! Happy Autumn! :)
Sorry for the lack of posts--I've been busy for the past few weeks. From trying to fix my schedule, afterschool clubs, and course assignments, it has all been pretty hectic. Not to mention babysitting the little boys ;)

But, I have a fun and easy DIY for you all today! In my diy paper bows post I showed one of my homemade notebooks. So why not a tutorial to share? I was really happy with the outcome, and you end up with a super cute, hand-sewn notebook :)


You will need some cardboard cut to size and then scored or folded down the middle. (And yes, I love love Wheat Thins!)


You will also need sheets of paper that when folded are a little smaller than the cardboard cover. I cut out six sheets of white copy paper, making 12 pages. And this photo came out so bright! :)


Place the paper sheets on top of the cardboard cover. Secure in place with paper clips. Then, so that you don't break your needle, use a push pin to make small holes down the middle, as shown. 

Make sure your holes go through both the paper and the cover!


Thread your needle, and sew the binding. I used yellow thread so you could see it better, but you could always use white.


Here is a close-up of my stitches.


You're done sewing! Almost done! :)


Do you see the thread binding? It doesn't look very attractive, does it? So, we are going to cover it.


Take out your decorative tape and cover the thread binding with it. There, no more ugly thread!

Finally, you can decorate your notebook any way you want. Doodle, stamp, use washi. Whatever makes you happy! :)


You're finished! Hope you enjoyed this tutorial, and if you do make a notebook, I would love to see it! Send me a photo!

By the way, I'm back on Instagram for the first time in months. Once I post more photos I'll share the link!

I'm so so sorry for not visiting blogs lately! As I said, I've been just so busy. With school and a hectic schedule, I won't be able to post as much. :( But thank you so much for your comments, you all are lovely and make me smile. I'm so blessed for each and every one of you readers :)

love love love! MJ

20 comments:

  1. This is great idea and so simple to do! They look amazing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post MJ! I've missed you. :(

    catscraftsncritters.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  3. So simple and very cute!
    x Erin
    http://louiseerin.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so neat! It would be fun to make sometime, who doesn't like notebooks?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so cute! I love notebooks of all kinds. I had no idea it was this easy to make one yourself. Thanks for making this tutorial!

    By the way, do you still allow guest posts? I would love to do one on your wonderful blog! Should I contact you through email about it or some other way?

    ---

    Tickle Your Cute Bone

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello!
      Thank you so much! Happy you liked it :)
      I do! I would love to have you over! I'm at a workshop at the moment, so please send me an email and I will get back to you with the deets :)

      Delete
  6. These are soo cute!! I love them! =) <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. These popped up in my feed today and they were so cute! As soon as I got home from work I made one. I love how it turned out! I was wondering, though, the notebook doesn't stay shut, so what should I do about it? Also, I used a Mini Wheats box, but I don't want the images showing on the inner cover..what should I do?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Glad you liked them Stacey, Thank you!
      To make it stay shut, put it under a few heavy books for a little while, and it should flatten out.
      I chose to not cover the images on my notebook, but you can use decorative tapes or scrapbook paper to cover it. Or, just use white copy paper and adhesive. Hope I helped :)

      Delete
  8. this is so cool! I defo have to try it one day


    Shalay,
    itsjustshalay.blogspot.com


    ReplyDelete
  9. Ohh my gracious, I lovelovelove these! I wanna make one. They're so cute, plus upcycled, and that is awesome! You make the coolest stuff, MJ

    ReplyDelete
  10. MJ... my daughter and I are going to make these in the next week or so, I just have to get my homework done for my course, then we can set aside time...

    By the way, can you drop over to my blog later and leave me your link for Instagram, I can't see it on your blog... probably just missing it... if you would like to follow me (no pressure :) ... my name there is @launnak

    Thank you for your very kind comment, I am always so incredibly touched by what you write to me, thank you very much :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so so much Launna! You are so sweet :)
      Lol! I just followed you! :)

      Delete
  11. Life is busy, sometimes we need to take a break..if we like it or not.
    Your note books are so cute, I love the use of washi tape to cover your sewing :)
    My daughter just got a job at Menchies and the characters there remind me of you and your love of these cute characters :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. MJ, im so glad you're back. I love this tutorial, and your pictures are on point. Im so excited to try this. Hehe washi tape solves everything. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yay! I love all your crafts MJ! So glad you're back :)

    Jubilee

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is too cute! I'll have to try it sometime! Thanks for sharing :)

    www.simplydavelyn.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your DIY's are sooo cute! Keep it up. <3

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment..it really makes my day and I appreciate every single one! :)
Be sure to check back if you have a question, as I always try to reply in the comments.
Don't forget to leave your blog address behind if you're here for the first time, so that I can visit and return the love! ❤❤❤