Sunday, October 26, 2014

diy / / air-dry clay


Hello! I have a tutorial for you today! 
I had never made air-dry clay before, but after seeing polymer clay charm videos I wanted some! I found a tutorial over on Full of Great Ideas, where Stephanie had found the recipe from cooks.com. I tried searching it up, but I couldn't find the exact recipe for proper-proper credits. Ha ha. Oh well.

I made only 1/4 of the full recipe since I was trying it out, so I used:

~1/2 cup baking soda
~1/4 cup cornstarch
~1/4 cup + 2 tbsp. cool water

I apologize in advance for the crappy photos, lol. Now let's get started!


Mix the cornstarch and baking soda in pan. Add water and mix very well. Place over stove on medium heat, stirring constantly until it becomes thick. (You'll know when--it'll become a ball and look like clay ;)


Spoon out the clay into a bowl and cover with a damp paper towel. You need to let it cool, because trust me, the clay will be hot.


Once the clay has cooled down enough for you to handle it, knead it. 
- - Yes that's a soup bowl. Yes I love Campbell's. :D - -


Now...Enter cute cookie cutters! My mom bought these some time ago but never used them. I'm pretty sure they're Noah's Ark themed. There's even a little boat ^_^


Roll out your clay and start cutting out your shapes!


Soon you should have a whole army of clay bears. Give the remaining clay to someone so they can do..whatever. ;)


My mom then came into the kitchen and had the idea of sticking wire in the top of each bear. We couldn't find pliers, so she basically started sawing paper clips with a knife while I watched like o_o


Let the clay dry overnight, This is how they looked the next morning ^^


I painted them to make them look like pandas! Yay!

~~~

A few tips:

Be careful and wait for the clay to cool before using it. Yes, I said this before, but impatient little kids and an impatient you will cause "ow's!"

Store remaining clay.. I'm not sure how long the clay lasts, but I guess a few days don't hurt. Store it in a plastic baggie or an airtight container.

If clay is sticky.. If your clay is sticky, you can add a little cornstarch to it OR to the inside of the cookie cutter.

Drying methods. This is air-dry clay, so leaving it for a night should do the trick. But if you want to oven-bake it, Stephanie has instructions for it. However, it browns the backs of your clay shapes, which is why I didn't try it. 

Try different things! Use paint, glitter, stamps, whatever. Even washi tape! Then coat with a varnish or glaze if you want. I didn't have any on hand, but I may have to get some!

~~~

I would love to see if you made this! Let me know at littlepandacrafts@gmail.com or tag me at pandagirl_xoxo and hashtag with #littlepandacrafts so I can have a look! :)

love love love! MJ


24 comments:

  1. This is so creative and adorable ♥♥ I love pandas

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are too cute MJ and this recipe is super easy, this is a great activity for Valentina and I for making some Christmas ornaments. We are going to get a real tree and I though it would be nice to make some ornaments and this sounds easy and they are cute xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute cute cute! Lovely tutorial. :)

    catscraftsncritters.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to try this with my daughter, Christmas ornaments sound fun. Question -- do these crack or break?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! That sounds like a great idea :)
      If you did something like throw them at a wall, then they would break, ha ha. But if you're just handling or hanging them, they won't break. Just make sure you don't roll out the clay too thin and that you lay them flat to dry to prevent cracks. Hope I helped! ♡

      Delete
  5. Oh my goodness these are adorable.
    I love your little pandas.
    You mom was very creative to add the paper clips to the tops, now they can be used for so much more :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are adorable!! Thank you so much for sharing this :D

    Lipstick and Mocha

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! We will have this craft done for our decoration this seasoon woah I can feel the vibe. Thanks for sharing!

    Hoping to see you hop in my blog!! Check out my new post and tell me something about it!!! :)

    HIATUS and BOOKS // Midnight Blues

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the texture the clay has after it drys! I normally use polymer or paper clay but these charms just look really delicious so I think I'll give it a shot! Thanks for sharing <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love panda!
    you're so creative
    thank for sharing this tutorial
    if i have more time I want to try it

    New post in
    Www.miharujulie.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. They are so adorable. I bet they would make a fun decoration.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are adorable, MJ! Painting hem to look like pandas was such a great idea! Also, kudos to your mom for using the paper clips as "eye pins". It must've been scary though to see her cutting them with a knife XD Again, these are so cute! I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I saw this as I was browsing images, and I squealed! This is just the kind of recipe I was looking for :b I made it immediately, and I ALMOST used baking powder!
    I think I had put in a little too much water. My own fault, as I was eyeballing it. Anyhow, I was stirring and it was staying a liquid! Then I left for like a minute and when I came back itwas bubbling and clumping. I stirred, and it became thick and into a ball, almost. When I removed it and started to knead, it was super sticky! So I added in cornstarch little by little, just as you said, and it came out wonderfully! I love the texture and the nice white color. Will definitely be making this again. Very helpful instructions!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These pandas look amazing <3 So cute :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh my gosh, thank you for sharing this! These are absolutely adorable. <3 I'd love to use washi tape to decorate them. I might give this a try. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. OOOH <3 SOOOO CUTE!!
    LOVE YOUR BLOG !
    <333
    SO I WANNA TO ASK YOU HOW ABOUT FOLLOW EACH OTHER FOR KEEP IN TOUCH?
    LET ME KNOW, PLEASE, I ALWAYS FOLLOW BACK INMEDIATELY :)
    HAVE A BEAUTIFUL DAY AS YOU :*

    www.thegrisgirl.blogspot.com.es

    ReplyDelete
  16. MJ! Oh my goodness, you are *so* creative. These are so darn cute!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is so freaking cute !! I loooove them

    http://lorallure.blogspot.com

    Love
    -Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  18. They look very cute, I love them. great DIY. xoxo
    I'm hosting a giveaway, maybe you like it: http://enarasthings.blogspot.com.es/2014/10/kawaii-box-giveaway-sorteo.html

    ReplyDelete
  19. These are so cute MJ! I love them x

    ReplyDelete
  20. These are so cute! x

    http://rubys-eyes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. saving this onto my pinterest! i'd like to try making air-dry clay too! TQ for this tutorial!

    babysoulz

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment..it really makes my day and I appreciate every single one! :)
Be sure to check back if you have a question, as I always try to reply in the comments.
Don't forget to leave your blog address behind if you're here for the first time, so that I can visit and return the love! ❤❤❤