Saturday, December 27, 2014

organized for the New Year / / 2015


Hello!
I've been thinking about doing this post for a while now--and it's close to the end of December, so why not?
These are just a few ways of how I'm getting organized for the New Year, hopefully you find these tips helpful. I'll be linking things at the end of this post~so if you're interested, you'll know where to find it.

I just want to warn you that this is a picture and word-heavy post--I'm sorry for that! I just wanted to put in however much I could. 


I purchased a Sugar Paper planner to use for 2015. It's a month-on-two paged planner, with lots of pages for notes. I feel like it will be most helpful for me. When I was neglecting my usual planner, it was because I found it easier to type things into my Google Calendar app on my phone. I still like the feel of a monthly calendar, which is why I purchased this planner to use instead of a weekly one.

 Weekly planners are fun and have way more space for decorations, but I don't always have the time for them, so a monthly is more practical for me.


This is just something that I thought would be nice for the new year. Sometimes when I'm looking at a calendar or list, I tend to feel very overwhelmed. There are so many things to get done and it really does stress me out. I think that putting little quotes in my planner is a helpful reminder that no matter how bad or busy my day feels, the Lord is by my side and will help me through everything. <3



Goals and resolutions! I'm going to be honest with you: these are really hard to keep up with. But, it's good motivation. My goals for 2015 are to drink more water. I am so dehydrated sometimes, and I rarely bring my water bottle for swim practice, which I know is so bad. 
I also want to take time out to study extra subjects, like biology and chemistry. Hopefully I can gain extra knowledge and be on top of the game for upcoming classes. 
Lastly, I want to find out what to base my career on. We'll probably have a post on solely this coming up soon, but I want to figure out what exactly it is that I want to do with my life. Hopefully I will have my decision before the end of 2015!

If yearly goals are a little too hard for you to keep, stick to monthly and weekly ones. I like to do those as well, I'll put a sticky note for that month or week and what I need to get done. Or, I'll use my Tasks list in Google Calendar.



These are not necessary, but decorations make your planner so much more prettier! Stickers and memos are easy to find on amazon, ebay, or etsy. There are also lots of printables available online, you just have to know where to look.

Washi tape adds a pop of color to your pages, and are also good for scheduling.
 I like using thin strips of washi for my monthly pages for things that last all through the week (ex. swim practice). I'm also thinking about using washi to color code--but maybe that's a little too much organization! We'll see. :)



Sticky note flags are good for bookmarking pages, or for temporary things in your schedule that are subject to changing soon.
I just love the pastel colors!


Gel pens are also good for color-coding or catching your eye on a page, even doodling.



I know that the Hobonichi planner is a good choice for those who like to doodle a lot. But, since I wasn't sure if I would have the time to do so every day and I didn't want to waste a planner like that, I'm using little notebook for my doodles. It doesn't really fit into the "organization" theme, but I'm carrying it along with my planner to try to use each day :)

So that's it for this post! It was a lot of fun to put together, and I hope it added a bit of color to your day :)

Don't be down if you don't have many decorations, etc. for your planner--it's been taking me quite a while to collect craft supplies! Especially since things like washi can be quite expensive. I like to make a small purchase every now and then so that I can build up my collection but not feel too guilty, ha ha!
I still have a pretty small collection, but I'm hoping to get more little by little. You can get creative by DIYing your own, or drawing. I'd love to see!

If you are still deciding on a planner, using a notebook but decorating the cover is great! It's what I did for my previous planner, and it worked out really well for me. There are also lots of inserts and printable calendars online if you don't feel like doing it yourself, either.

I hope that I can be more organized for 2015!

Hope you found this post helpful! Let me know if you have any questions on where anything else was purchased!

Happy holidays!

love love love! MJ

+ sugar paper planner
+ Pilot gel pens
+ marshmallow cocoa & cookie memo printables


16 comments:

  1. Great tips! lovely post! xo

    http://carolina-delatorre.com/skin-care-routine/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photos, so cute. Nice goals too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, these are absolutely wonderful tips MJ! All of your photos are gorgeous ♥
    Careers and dreams. What a tough topic! Mine are so unrealistic, lol
    Amy xx

    Perfect Imperfections

    ReplyDelete
  4. All these 2015 posts that I've seen popping up on blogs are getting me so so excited for the new year! Ahhh I cannot WAIT for the fresh start that a new year brings :)

    x Erin
    louiseerin.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are so adorable! I really don't think you can ever have too much stationary haha :') Brilliant tips and I love the photos too.

    bethfreckles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi MJ, I consider myself to be a bit of a planner addict! I go with the Kikki K brand, but Sugar Paper looks absolutely gorgeous.
    Amazing tips you have there, and your photos are beautiful. I use a weekly layout, and I was just wondering, don't you find the monthly boxes a tad too small for writing in?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I tried to post from my phone... apparently blogger ate that comment...

    MJ, I think a monthly planner is a great idea, I like seeing things at a glance, I need to make a few more lists as I follow them and complete items needing to be completed...

    I hope you have a lovely week ahead and that you continue to enjoy your time off so that you can spend time with your family and friends xox

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not only do the decorations make the pages prettier, but you are more likely to use something you find to be attractive! If you hated your calendar, you would never look at it. But if you love the colors you added to it, you're more likely to look at it (and do so often!). That's a big part of staying on top of your tasks and to-dos, is having them somewhere you enjoy seeing them!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. very nice post. very cute stationary, I love it! :)
    great blog, very inspiring
    lets follow eachother! just let me know and I will follow back :)

    - www.angelaah91.blogspot.nl

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is that time of year….time to organize our planners :)
    You have some great goals for this upcoming year.
    I am an adult and still don't know what I want to do with my life, lol.
    I have made my own washi or decorative tape…here was the post if you are interested http://tracystreasures-tracy.blogspot.ca/2011/11/hand-made-tissue-tape.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is very inspiring, MJ! Thanks for the tips :-)
    xo

    http://handmadebyamalia.blogspot.co.il/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your blog is so freaking lovely. Thanks for these tips! Keep up your good work x

    SOMETIMES I FEEL LIKE ALICE.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome tips MJ! So helpful, since I just started a journal/planner of my own. The sugar paper planners are really nice, aren't they! :) Love the washi tape idea, too. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  14. Uahh you have so many cute things! I love your planner its ultra kawaii ♥

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love all of this!! All your tutorials are awesomeness! It's so practial.
    I can't wait for see more tutorials this year!
    xx
    onlybmh.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Is that felt cup near your gel pens your pencil case? It's so unique! Can you write a tutorial how to make it?

    www.thingsother.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment..it really makes my day and I appreciate every single one! :)
Be sure to check back if you have a question, as I always try to reply in the comments.
Don't forget to leave your blog address behind if you're here for the first time, so that I can visit and return the love! ❤❤❤